Sunday, December 21, 2008

Solstice Celebration

I am just about to turn in after a lovely Solstice Celebration with girlfriends on a crispy cold winter’s eve here at my humble cabin home. Livingston town lights below twinkle like a Christmas card complete with fine ice-crystal sky which frosts everything in a winter night softness. Twelve beautiful women gathered (minus one… who unfortunately got in a fender-bender on the way here and decided to return home). Homemade taco soup (kind of like chili) made with antelope was served. Other extra yummy goodies, hot buttered rum, wine and chocolate truffles added to the festivity.

We held a ritual to honor the darkness and welcome the light. We burned that which we wanted to release. We talked of loss, and hope…set intentions and made wishes. We held hands. We sang. We laughed. We shed tears.

LizAnn added her spectacular brand of cheer and insight. Today was her first visit to my cabin since the August morning I made her and Leslie breakfast and called Joe for beta before they set off for Mt Cowen. I think of the full moon night Leslie spent with LizAnn at the lake in anticipation of their climb. The morning they set out for the summit, I went for a run in Paradise Valley and blew them kisses toward the ridge where I knew they were climbing.

I think of the night Joe spent with LizAnn in the gully. The same sleepless night I brought Leslie here after the last radio transmission when we could do no more for the rescue until morning. I made the phone calls to her family and fiancĂ©, fed Leslie and began the e-mail messages. I think of all this humble home has held…am filled with awe…and love…and gratitude.

A few days ago LizAnn and I swam laps at the heated pool. She moves beautifully with strength and grace through the water. I strapped some weights on my legs and raced her, trying to just use my arms. Phew! We spent well more than an hour executing the post-pool shower/change since these things take extra time (so we fit in extra girl chat).

She is moving into her home this week.

A journey embarked by three and punctuated by one large loose rock has been entered into and shared by so many. Tonight LizAnn spoke of how profound the love has been. Deep shifts, raw honest humble living, lots of gumption and an indomitable spirit have been gifted to all of us who share her journey. I am full of gratitude for the contribution each of you have made…even your thoughts and certainly your love have added grace.

I want to send each of you a hug in honor of the darkness life carries and a smile for the light we have shared with our beloved LizAnn.

With bright light and the promise of longer days,
Amber

No comments: